Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar

Description
This is a great book. However, I should warn some, you'll need the appropriate mindset to get anything out of it. There's really not much theory in here. Basically it's ALL technique. Excercises designed to strengthen left and right hands separately and then putting them together.

At first when I got this book, I kind of skipped around to the stuff I liked practicing better -- more along the picking excersizes for right hand and cross picking. I found the first chapter on just left hand REALLY TEDIOUS. Basically it's lots hammers and pulls in various patterns all over the fretboard. The pull-offs I found especially tedious and difficult.

I got some speed up in the picking, but really discovered that I could only get so far because I was finding that feeling what my left hand fingers were doing was rather muddy. Then I went back to chapter 1 on the left hand and really concentrated on it.

First off, it hurts! Which is good! If you're hurting, you're using new muscles and you're beginning to teach those muscles how to move. I found that after only a few days I was getting a LOT better at hammering and pulling all over the neck and also the finger muscles were getting stronger. Also, synchronizatiion with fast picking was getting better. Now, I'm mostly concentrating on left hand technique and seeing a lot of improvement.

When I first mentioned the right mindset, what I meant was some of you may find practicing this stuff BORING. You're not going to be ripping melodic solos with these excersizes, the concentration is on TECHNIQUE. If you can't play some of this simple stuff fast amd clean, how can you expect to play a real solo fast and clean? Your mindset has to be to make the exercises interesting so you can get over the hump. Once you start seeing improvement, it will naturallty become more interesting. What helps a lot is a metronome. You can make it kind of a game with yourself too see how fast you can set the tempo and still play clean, and then go back and forth between slow and fast.

I also have Paul Hanson's "Shred Guitar". That book is more along the lines of presenting a chord progression and then analysizing the progression a bit and then covering a bunch of licks for each progression. You'll get more immediate soloing out of that book, but IMO, in terms of basic mechanics for speed, Stetina'ws book is much better. Getting both books wouldn't be a bad idea.

For what it's worth, I've been playing guitar over about 30 years although I went through several years without picking up my guitar at all. I played a lot my first 10 or so years, but really stopped progressing after a while. I just wanted to play stuff, not practice. I can tell you from experience, if you don't have a good practice methodology, you'll never get better. I picked up the guitar again about a year ago and now concentrate mostly on HOW I play, not WHAT. It makes a real difference. Also, I don't much like heavy metal. Both this and "Shred" focus on metal, but don't let that deter you from buying these books as there's plenty in here that is universally applicable.

Pages: 80
Year: 1992
Buy this book
RapidShare: (if you have a link please provide it in the comments section)

0 comments: